Division VII - Diversity and Social Justice
Division VII Mission Statement
Division VII of the California Psychological Association (CPA) is dedicated to advancing the diversity initiatives of CPA by promoting a social justice perspective to issues of diversity. We are psychologists who embrace our role as global citizens and active agents of change. The Division focuses on clinical issues relevant to culture including racial/ethnic diversity, LGBTQ community, gender, HIV/AIDS, disabilities, and social issues. Our primary aim is to decrease the gap in mental health disparities in the state of California by increasing psychologists’ cultural competence.
Goals of Division VII
- Foster a network where psychologists can actively engage in ongoing dialogue about critical diversity and social justice issues
- Maintain a focus on legislative advocacy efforts benefiting underserved communities
- Provide information on continuing education opportunities on cultural competency
- Collaborate with other CPA Divisions, State Psychological Associations, and APA on advancing the cultural competence of psychologists
- Nurture a leadership pipeline of diversity liaisons from CPA chapters to strengthen the diversity initiative within CPA
- Network with others interested in diversity and social justice
- Learn from others engaged in public advocacy
- Educate others regarding diversity issues
- Help psychology stay at the forefront of diversity and social justice initiatives!
Join Div VII